Best Skinning Knife For Deer…?
This Article Covers:
Choosing A Skinning Knife
Whenever I’m skinning deer in the field or butchering meat at home, my go-to knife is a 6″ Boning Knife or a Swingblade from Outdoor Edge, the Swingblade has a 3.6″ drop point skinning blade as well as a separate 3.2″ gutting blade, rather than the usual gut hook you would find on a Buck or Gerber Skinning Knives – I find the Swingblade fast and comfortable to use, excellent for field dressing deer!
Skinning Knives For Deer…
P3 Deer Skinner
Moran Drop Point
|Fixed Blade |
Outdoor Master Mic S
Saddle MTN Skinner
Apart from the Skinning Knife Set from Jero USA, which I feel is a bargain, The best skinning knife I’ve seen on Amazon, so far, is this Victorinox Beef Skinning Blade, a popular, 5″ Swiss-made knife, it is tough, well-balanced, from a top-quality brand, at a competitive price.
The Victorinox is the Knife I would buy if I was in the market for a single skinning knife?
Best Skinning Knife Set
Also, I recently discovered this well priced, some might say cheap, 3 piece skinning set from Jero Knives.
Jero Pro 3 Piece Butcher Sets are made in Portugal, sold in the US, by JERO USA, the knife set has tough non-slip polymer handles [textured plastic] that is injection moulded over high-carbon knife steel! – these knives are made to work hard, all day every day.
They sell with a Lifetime Warranty!
Knife sets, such as the Jero Butcher Knife Set, include no-nonsense professional skinning knives, designed for commercial meat processing – even with hard use, they will last for years! top quality knives at an amazingly low price!
For most hunters or farmers, butchering their own animals, a knife set or single skinning knife from the Jero Pro Series, is all you would need for processing large game animals like deer, moose, or elk – even skinning and butchering a hog or beef animal.
Skinning Knife Set
3 Piece Skinning Set
6 Piece Skinning Set
Skinning Kit – 6 Piece
8 Piece Skinning Set
2 Piece Skinning Set
4 Piece Butchers Set
The 3 Piece Knife Set from Jero Pro Series
In my opinion, is the best skinning knife set, You will find on Amazon
Buy Now – (3 Piece Skinning Set)
Pro-quality butcher knives, made in Portugal
Suitable for field dressing deer, moose, or elk…
Jero USA, Supply A Full Range Of Quality Knives To Professionals
CHECK TODAY’S PRICES!
Popular Skinning Blade Types
- Drop Point: This is a common blade shape for skinning knives…
- Clip Point: A versatile blade shape popular if you only carry one knife as it is suitable for many tasks…
- Skinning: My first hunting knife was a beef skinner, Jero Knives or Victorinox Knives, still produce quality versions of the beef skinning knife familiar to many older hunters…
- Wood: Wooden Knife handles are considered “Old School” by many, but in my opinion, wood is a great material for knife handles, it wears well stands a range of conditions, it is lightweight and feels nice in hand.
- Plastic: Derided by some? but used by many top knife brands including Victorinox, who market their plastic handles as Fibrox, or as it states on their website [Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE)] I have owned several hunting knives with plastic handles, they all survived hard use and on occasion a little bit of abuse. I still own one after 10 years, they are tough – Just don’t put them in the dishwasher! Hand Wash Only!
Skinning Knife 7 Key Features
7 Key Features You should look for when buying a skinning knife.
- Well balanced and nice in the hand.
- You, want a non-slip-comfortable handle, either textured rubber or a polymer/plastic, such as Fibrox, found on some Victorinox Knives, these handle materials are light, cheap, and durable, – a popular choice for working knives.
- 3.5″ to 6″ drop point blade, or a stiff 6″ boning knife, works great for processing deer in the field.
- For me, a skinning knife must be reliable, easy-care, stainless steel, – a quick wash, and dry, when the job is done!
- Skinning Knives with softer steel like 420HC or AUS-8 are tough in use, but quick and easy to sharpen with a wet stone or touch up with a sharpening steel.
- It must hold its edge, a blunt knife is more likely to cut the person who uses it!
- Cheap to buy? Cheap Skinning Knives… doesn’t have to mean crap, once you know what to look for!
Well designed Skinning Knives, from well-known brands, will have all of these 7 features, they hold an edge, sharpen easily, have textured, non-slip rubber or plastic handles, You can expect them to be durable and reliable…!
Choosing a single skinning knife to use on a variety of game is a difficult task.
If you only hunt deer? or only hunt small game like rabbits or fowl…? the task is simpler, a single knife of the appropriate size is all you need.
I like to cover all the bases with a knife set like this 6 Piece Skinning Set from Outdoor Edge – the gut hook for processing large game, the caping knife for small game animals or caping your trophy bull, the boning knife is versatile, useful for all game animals.
If you Butcher Hogs or Beef Animals, as well as Hunt Deer, Elk, or Moose, the 3 Piece Butcher Set from Jero USA is a great choice for processing large animals.