Survival Kit For Hunting…
This Article Covers:
Why I Carry A Survival Kit…?
Survival Kit For Hunting:
A big part of staying safe and surviving in wilderness areas is having DIY skills to build your own shelter along with being aware of the potential threats you will be exposed too, then preparing for those threats before they cause an issue!
From a young age, I have hunted in remote areas alone, when I was trapping I would be in the bush for two or more weeks… walk in, walk out, without any form of communication, I would just have to, Handle It My Self! – if things turned to crap.
Through these solo trips. I quickly became aware of a hard fact – in wilderness areas, you are responsible for your own safety.
Over time this made me a much safer hunter.
In the early days, I always carried a DIY Hunting Survival Kit, which I list below.
Today I still carry a survival kit along with modern GPS equipment.
Though when I hunt today, it is less DIY and more, small and convenient… similar to these compact survival kits listed below.
Wilderness Survival Kits, Compared
|Kosin Survival Gear|
|DLY Survival, First Aid Kit|
|Levory J Survival Kit|
|Trscind Survival Kit|
|Eiliks Survival Kit|
|Xuanlan Survival Kit|
|Supology Survival Kit|
My pick of the 7 survival kits listed above would be this Supology Survival Kit.
Due to its Basic Water Filter and First Aid Equipment.
An Excellent Survival Kit For Hunting!
Top 4 Safety Risks While Hunting…
Where I hunt there are 4 preventable events that could cause injury or death.
- Hypothermia – This is a common cause of death in colder countries if, for instance, you are wet from rain or river crossings and then exposed to wind chill… hunting in wet clothes is a common occurrence for many hunters in remote areas.
If you have too? You need to be prepared enough, To quickly light a fire, Find, or create a shelter from the wind and rain…
When you are wet and cold it is also important to eat or drink something hot in order to help stabilize your core body temperature.
- Falls – Falls often happen while climbing a steep rock face, or failing to self-arrest while sliding on an ice face, often falls in remote areas result in fatal injuries…
- Drowning – Attempting to cross a fast-flowing river when it is running too swiftly or in flood…
- Getting Lost – Not always a serious problem, but if you are ill-prepared mentally or lacking survival equipment it can lead to panic and poor decision making… that is a serious problem!
Remember – “You Are Only Lost If You Don’t Want To Be There Anymore!”
Stay calm and think your way out of the problem…
To counter these risks, I always use caution when in the wilderness and carry a survival kit that is equipped with basic first aid essentials as well as the survival tools that all good kits contain.
My DIY Survival Kit Contains…
- BIC lighters, 2-3 of these, cheap to buy, they cope with all weather conditions.
- Emergency blanket
- Compass, even if your orienteering skills are not so great? a compass will at least keep you walking in one direction if you ever do get lost? – many people who are disorientated walk in circles, wasting precious energy.
- Extra batteries
- Camp knife
- Paper map – combine it with your compass, no batteries needed!
- Chocolate + tea bags, hot tea, will help fight off hypothermia, chocolate will give you the energy to keep walking and thinking clearly.
- Headlamp, keep your hands free with a headlamp – more convenient than a handheld flashlight.
- Bicycle inner tube, use it as a firelighter, cheap and easy to carry, not very eco-friendly, but it will start your campfire in any weather conditions, – this alone could save your life!
- Large stainless mug, I would use it to boil water and make tea.
In my opinion… The best safety item you carry is the head on your shoulders…
Be sure to slow down and put it to good use, when things go wrong!
A cool head combined with Good Survival Equipment will ensure challenging events in remote areas will end well…
Hunting Survival Kit – FAQ
What Is The Best Survival Kit For Hunting?
A good survival kit for hunting contains first aid equipment, fire starter, survival blanket, multi-tool, tactical pen, torch, paracord, compass, water purifier…